health

Global Fund for AIDS, TB, Malaria “Not in Crisis”

WASHINGTON, Apr 26 2012 (IPS) – Although coming off a rocky year in 2011, the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria is not in crisis , according to the organisation s deputy general manager, Debrework Zewdie.
At a roundtable organised on Wednesday by the Council on Foreign Relations here, Zewdie stated that after being forced to weather a scandal last year and the ongoing international economic downturn, the is once again receiving substantial commitments from bilateral donors.

A day after the news was officially disclosed to the Global Fund s governing board, Zewdie announced new or renewed multi-year funding promises from Germany, Japan, Spain and the UK. The Global Fund s most significant donor, the United States, has maintained its backing throughout the difficulties of the past year.

Dr. Zewdie delivered a clear message that the Global Fund s transformation is well underway, with a strong new focus on impeccable grant management, Mark Isaac, interim president of Friends of the Global Fight Against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, told IPS.

She also underscored how critical ongoing U.S. leadership is to ensuring support from other nations and to reaching those most in need around the world with lifesaving services.

The Global Fund began operating in 2002 with the expressed aim of operating differently from other such multilateral funders. It was to be a simple, straightforward organisation with a simple, straightforward mandate: to disburse funding with the aim of treating and preventing HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.
Related IPS Articles

Quickly attracting some of the biggest names in international philanthropy and celebrity, the impact and example of the Global Fund on global health over the past decade would be difficult to overstate. As of last year, the organisation had approved funding of some 23 billion dollars. Today, it is operating in 150 countries, with a particular focus on sub-Saharan Africa.

Further, the Global Fund s activities have been on the increase. Around 80 percent of its funding dispersal has taken place within the last five years.

Today, it is the world s largest grant-making body working on the three diseases under its remit.

Alongside this massive ramping up, however, the Global Fund has inevitably become a complex behemoth. When the Global Fund was created, it was supposed to be simple, Zewdie said in Washington. It s nothing like that now.

The Global Fund s complexity appears to have led to an inability to adequately oversee its massive operations.

In January 2011, the Associated Press news agency, utilising data from the Global Fund s own inspector general, published allegations that the Global Fund was losing tens of millions of dollars due to mismanagement and corruption. According to that data, up to two- thirds of grant monies for certain projects was being lost to various types of fraud.

Additional allegations of poor oversight and shoddy management came to light following the initial publication.

The news led the European Commission and several European countries to announce that they would be withholding nearly 450 million dollars, pending investigation.

The results quickly amassed, with the most dramatic ramification coming in November 2011. At that time, because some 2.2 billion dollars in pledged donor contributions had not materialised, the Global Fund s governing board announced that it would be cancelling the next scheduled round of grant dispersal.

Since then, many have begun warning that the significant strides that have been made in recent years against each of these diseases were in danger of being rolled back. Zewdie s comments on Wednesday coincided with the marking of World Malaria Day, the theme of which this year is Sustain Gains, Save Lives , clearly underlining the building anxiety.

The Global Fund has been adamant that, although the mid-term future of its efforts has been in danger during the contribution slowdown, the multi-year structuring of its programmes means that on-the-ground services have not experienced negative impacts.

According to a new report funded in part by the Clinton Health Access Initiative, however, 91 percent of cases of malaria resurgence over the past eight decades have been due to weakened control programmes, typically due to funding cuts.

The recent turnaround in donor sentiment is undoubtedly motivated at least in part by significant restructuring plans being implemented within the Global Fund.

The agency is currently halfway through a twofold plan aimed at dealing with issues of complexity and mismanagement. Zewdie reported that while the Global Fund s grant-making monies used to be evenly split between administrative and programmatic costs, an expedited 60- day overhaul resulted in administrative costs being cut down to a quarter of the total.

In addition, the agency has moved to shift its focus to what those areas deemed high impact , following a realisation that resources were not going only to those countries most in need. The total number of staff – previously around 600 – will also be reduced.

 

Related Posts

Game Of Thrones Complete Series Blu-Ray Is Only $58 For Amazon Prime Day

Game of Thrones fans can pick up the complete series on Blu-ray for only $58 at Amazon during Prime Day 2024. You can also save on multiple editions of House of the Dragon Season 1, including the 4K Blu-ray steelbook edition, as well as A Song of Ice and Fire novel box sets.


Game of Thrones & House of the Dragon Blu-ray Deals

  • Game of Thrones: Complete Series (Blu-ray) — $58 ($108)
  • Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season Steelbook (Blu-ray) — $18 ($28)
  • Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season Steelbook (Blu-ray) — $18 ($40)
  • House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season Steelbook (4K) — $28 ($37)
  • House of the Dragon…

PlayStation Plus Moving Away From Monthly PS4 Games

Sony has announced a key change for the future of PlayStation Plus. Sony will shift away from offering PS4 games as it looks to focus on PS5 games instead. Sony said it’s making this change as part of the evolution of PS Plus overall Come from online casino bangladesh . This isn’t starting soon, though, and will begin in January 2026.

“As we shift to PS5, PS4 games will no longer be a key benefit and will only be occasionally offered for PlayStation Plus Monthly Games and Game Catalog starting January 2026. We may still provide titles that can be playable on both PS4 and PS5 consoles after this date,” Sony said.

PS4 games that players have already redeemed from PS Plus are not affected, provided players stay subscribed to Pl…

Saquon Barkley's No-Look Hurdle Has Been Added To Madden NFL 25

In the NFL, when players pull off something special on the field, fans occasionally refer to it as a “video-game move.” But Philadelphia Eagles running back Saquon Barkley took that to another level earlier this season when he evaded a defender by jumping over him while looking the other way. EA couldn’t resist adding that no-look hurdle to the latest update for Madden NFL 25, but Barkley is the only player who can use it and it’s not easy to pull off.

As part of the notes for the new Madden NFL 25 update, EA explained that the development team immediately decided to put Barkley’s “once-in-a-lifetime move” in the game by combing through hours of motion-capture footage. From there, they determined which animations could be modified to recreate Barkley’s leap, with some additional h…

Resistance 4 Was Pitched But Didn't Work Out, Says Former Insomniac Boss

According to former Insomniac Games boss Ted Price, a Resistance 4 game was pitched but ultimately wasn’t made.

In an interview with Kinda Funny Games, Ted Price, said, “We did pitch that one. It was a wonderful concept, and in terms of timing and market opportunity, it didn’t work out.” When asked whether Resistance 3’s poor sales at the time impacted the decision to move on from the series, Price didn’t answer directly.

“Resistance 3 was intended to end that chapter of the Resistance franchise,” he explained. “With the way we ended with [protagonist] Capelli and closed a lot of loops on various smaller story items…we wanted to do that so we could have more options in the future, whether we would go ahead with more Resistance games or taking another turn.”

Star Wars- Legion Is Super Cheap For Prime Day – Plus, More Star Wars Board Game Deals

We’ve seen plenty of great Star Wars video games hit the market over the past few years, but the same is also true for Star Wars board games. Legion is one of the most popular options, pitting two players against each other in strategy battles that can run for up to three hours. It’s also one of the most expensive at $120–but for Prime Day, you can get it for just $89. Come from online casino bangladesh

That’s one of the lowest prices of the year. The base game includes 33 highly detailed miniatures, a comprehensive rulebook, and all the cards and pieces you need to dive into the complex game. The game is an easy recommendation for Star Wars fans now that it’s listed for less than $120, though we’re sure Amazon …

Elden Ring's Miyazaki Named To Time's 100 Most Influential People List For 2023

Time Magazine’s annual list of the world’s top 100 most influential people has arrived, and the list includes one person from the world of video games. From Software’s Hidetaka Miyazaki, the director of Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls, lands on the list in the “Innovator” section. Come from Sports betting site VPbet

Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann profiled Miyazaki for Time, writing that Miyazaki’s games originally made him feel “miserable” because Druckmann’s character died over and over again. But Druckmann, and gamers all over the place who stick with Miyazaki’s games, may end up having a breakthrough. That’s what makes Miyazaki such a great designer, Druckmann said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *